Most people panic when they experience a roof leak. What do I do? Who do I call? Many of us are dumbfounded when our roof is leaking. A leaky roof is an emergency situation that requires immediate attention. Read on to learn what you can do and why you should call a professional restoration company when the drips begin!
My Roof Is Leaking: What Should I Do While I Wait for Help to Arrive?
Most property damage restoration contractors have a 90-minute response time or less and operate 24/7. They are more prepared than roofers to respond to these types of emergency situations. Moreover, restoration contractors are much more familiar with the overall building envelope when compared to roofers. But, what should you do to mitigate the situation while you wait for help to arrive?
- Protect – Although you can’t stop the leak yourself, do your best to protect the interior of your home until help arrives. Put buckets under the leak, move furniture around, and cover up other contents with drop plastic to protect them from moisture in the affected area.
- Inspect – If conditions are safe and permitting, try to identify the exact location of the leak from the exterior of the home. This can help the crew once they arrive.
- Safety – Don’t try to climb up onto your roof to inspect the situation, especially during inclement weather. Just do your best to protect your home’s interior and wait for help to arrive.
What Does a Restoration Company Do When My Roof Is Leaking?
Once the restoration company arrives, they will do the following.
- Inspect – They will assess the situation and determine the location of the roof leak
- Educate – The lead crew chief will discuss their findings with you and advise you on the best approach
- Tarp – The crew will tarp and sandbag the roof, covering the point of entry and the surrounding area to prevent further water intrusion
- Mitigation/Drying – Next, any water damage in your home will be dried using extraction equipment, dehumidifiers, and air movers (fans). Any specialized equipment like Injectidries may also be used depending on the situation
- Monitoring – After the initial response, the crew will monitor the drying progress over the next several days and work to prevent potential mold growth
- Roof Repair
What Should You Do as the Homeowner After the Leaky Roof Has Been Mitigated?
While you’re waiting on your home to dry, you want to reach out to your insurance company and submit a claim. From there, the restoration contractor can handle the claims process and work with your adjuster to figure out coverage. The contractor will then work to restore your home to its pre-loss condition.
If Your Roof is Leaking, Call Legacy Restoration, LLC
Whether you’re located in Ft Myers, Tampa, or the surrounding areas, Legacy Restoration, LLC has you covered if your roof is leaking. Our team is standing by 24/7 waiting to respond to your call at 888-249-5867.
You can also call our local offices directly.
Reach out to us now if you have a leaking roof emergency!